Sunday, February 22, 2009

Relearn

I've begun voice lessons again with a professor of mine - and I'm grateful that she isn't condescending and snide and useless like my last voice teacher - but it would help if I managed to not be sick every time I sang a note while at school. Hooray for allergies and colds. So far all I've really learned is that I have "potential" and that I have to relearn everything I've been previously taught about breathing properly while singing. There's a lot I have to relearn about a myriad of things.

I saw the national tour of Sweeney Todd for the second time last night, and they were wonderful, yet again. I've just been reminded yet again how badly I want to be onstage. It's ridiculous. I'm going to see Phantom in New York on Saturday as well - it was a birthday gift from my parents.

I could have (and probably should have) auditioned for a summer touring theatre troupe (paying!) on that Saturday, but seeing as how my health is rapidly deteriorating it might be for the best that I opted not to this year. I'm having a slight crisis of the self as well, which isn't helping me make any sort of decisions at all. I decided not to because I'm still only 19, I need to work this summer to pay for school, and there's a part of me that isn't quite ready to bid my old life goodbye. I don't think I'm ready to start looking at real life yet - I want to, I need to and I should, but I feel like this is the last summer I may have to truly spend at home with people before we all have to start separating. Those may be bad reasons not to pursue something like a New England tour, but they're my reasons right now. Input would be much appreciated.

I'm going to be in a small production of The Vagina Monologues, which should be interesting, so I'll keep updates on the progress in that.

And if you have not read it, I highly recommend Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead. One of the most beautiful and heart-wrenching pieces of theatrical literature I've ever read, and I would do anything to be a part of it someday. With any luck, it'll happen, sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment