Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm Lacking Inspiration, Today

Yesterday was a good day, today was an okay day. Creatively I'm just pooped. Exhausted. I want to sleep all the time and I dread the physical exertion of the next day. I'm emotional eating. I'm bored eating. I'm eating. MUNCHIES.

I think I'm going to grow out my hair. Maybe go until my birthday without cutting any significant length off of it. See what happens.

Here are a few things to share with you while I work out my artistic kinks.

_

A song they used in New York Theatre Workshop and Elevator Repair Service's THE SELECT - THE SUN ALSO RISES.


_

A link to an interesting blog post by one of my favorite haunted house creators in NYC - it's about the theatrical experience, not just pop scares, and that I appreciate. He writes about his artistic struggle to maintain his vision and storytelling truth instead of resorting to gore-tastic pop scares. CLICK TO READ.
_

Some quotes by Harold Pinter from a speech he made at the National Student Drama Festival in Bristol, 1962.

"We don't carry labels on our chests, and even though they are continually fixed to us by others, they convince nobody."

"I suggest there can be no hard distinctions between what is real and what is unreal, nor between what is true and what is false. A thing is not necessarily either true or false; it can be both true and false."
_

A quote from Maria Irene Fornes, playwright.

"Art is completely religion."
_


And last but not least, a quote from George Clooney, as written in an interview conducted by Parade Magazine.

I was a baseball player in school. I had a good arm, I could catch anything, but I was having trouble hitting, I would be like, "I wonder if I'll hit it; just let me hit the ball." And then I went away for the fall, learned how to hit, and by my sophomore year I'd come to the plate and think, "I wonder where I want to hit the ball, to the left or right?" Just that little bit of skill and confidence changed everything. Well, I had to treat acting like that. I had to stop going to auditions thinking, "Oh, I hope they like me." I had to go in thinking I was the answer to their problem. You could feel the difference in the room almost immediately.

The greatest lesson I learned was that sometimes you have to fake it. And you have to be willing to fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment