Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Projects

Had a "class" with my intern advisor, Janice yesterday. It's NYU's way of making sure we're actually learning stuff, which I appreciate. Though the 8 page paper is gonna suck.

Got me thinking, since, in listening to the other two intern students who were there, I realized my internship at 13th Street is very much not the typical internship. Janice gave me the project of an organizational chart, to work out exactly who does what around the theatre, including all 30 something interns and whoever actually works there. Because honestly, I have no freaking idea what's going on at 13th, other than it's more than slightly unorganized and I get this atmosphere of unprofessionalism whenever I show up. ((The children's show has been pushed back one more weekend due to poor planning.))

So I'm putting on my Nancy Drew/Mystery Machine Gang hat and I'm going to get to the bottom of this and see exactly how this off-off theatre keeps itself going.
___

Have to have a reading of my short play tonight with the other interns. I really dislike this play, and I wish I didn't have to share it. I know it's probably awful, and will get torn to shreds, because me + romcom = super awkward.

I also recently was reading a bunch about the psychology of solitude versus loneliness (click it), and how one does not innately indicate the other, since I have found myself on my own quite a bit this summer (sometimes entire days go by when I don't actually speak a single word to another human, just songs to myself), and I have often wondered if this is weird or unhealthy or something. But liking my space and quiet and time to myself isn't weird at all. I prefer it to lots of company, always have. Small gatherings are much more pleasant than rowdy parties, or bar scenes, or large crowds of people. So I'm actually okay with most of my quiet time.

But then there are the moments when I realize that I do actually pine for someone's company. I don't need someone around all the time, I don't need to constantly talk, or be doing something, but to at least have someone accessible with whom I can communicate and just sit with, that would be nice. I'm not that far away from the people I miss, since it's truly just a train ride and some schedule planning away from seeing them, but there are definitely days when I feel like there is a giant glass wall between me and the world. Texting fades as other people keep themselves occupied, the internet is no escape, and I read the entirety of Frankenstein in two days because at least then it was like there was someone with me.

So I spend a lot of time reflecting on my own needs as a human and what feelings are valid and what are not.

Now that I've wasted my morning, I'm going to go do my yoga and ballet and plan for my afternoon. A run to Staples to print, possibly grocery shopping for cereal, maybe a long walk up Broadway for no reason other than I want to get out. Or laundry. Laundry is cheaper here than it was in my other building.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment