Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Horse And His Boy

[The title of a book by C.S. Lewis. It took me three years to finish it. I just kept putting it down, forgetting it, starting over, getting a little farther, putting it down, forgetting it, starting over.]




I saw Equus on Broadway today. It disappoints me that the first thing that will come to your mind is "Harry Potter naked!" I know it is, though. That's America for you.

Let me start again.

I saw Equus on Broadway today. I was moved by the power of words again today, swept up in the beauty and simplicity of the staging, captivated by the simple dimming of lights. I found myself desperately wanting to know what it was Alan saw in his horse's eyes before he tore them out. I realized that somewhere within me I already knew.

And once again I was reminded of exactly why I want to be onstage for the rest of my life.

Don't let the "Harry Potter naked" gossip keep you from seeing this show, if you can afford it. I have student discount codes available, if you like. This is not one to be missed. The script is simply astounding. Daniel Radcliffe has established himself as a very, very talented young performer.



Now that I'm done wallowing in my theatrical ecstacy and advertising, I read a few very enlightening articles in BACK STAGE on the train. I bought myself I copy before I left the city. I always do. One was about the relationship an actor should have with props, and how they aren't just objects to be moved, or that's what they're going to look like. The other was about whether casting directors would rather an auditonee be utterly devoted to theatre or actually have something else to their life. I'll comment on them later, but for now I need to absorb what I saw today.

No comments:

Post a Comment