Thursday, May 19, 2011

It is, in fact, a Good Morning

Had my first full day of interning yesterday - box office duty in the morning (which, on a Wednesday, was fairly quiet, so I got through a huge chunk of Elegance of the Hedgehog) and rehearsal for the children's show yesterday night. I'm playing a pig celebrating her 4th birthday, and also playing a fox who has a penchant for stealing birthday cakes. It should be cute. There is a play festival later in the summer and I'm looking forward to possibly getting my hands on meatier roles (the Hijabi Monologues, possibly). But who doesn't love a cake stealing fox?

Had an odd encounter yesterday, and I won't go into detail, but as a result, I got some phenomenal advice and support from my teachers and friends. I woke up this morning to an amazing message from Ken Schatz, and it made me smile so much I didn't know what to do. So I got up, popped in my iPod and did some yoga/dance. Dance comes so much easier to me when I find my inner joy. I'll keep that in mind for class next year. :)

Part of my joy today came from the weirdness yesterday, and being confronted with something that made me really examine myself and my art and why I'm doing this. I did most of the soul searching afterwards, because I had a reflexive reaction that was so definitive and powerful that I almost didn't recognize it at first. My art is mine, and my own. I will never take money over art. I would be miserable being anything than what I am.

It was such a solid thought that it didn't even register as a thought, but as a feeling in my gut and heart. And it may be the harder road to take, but it's the road I want.



I have the day off, so I'll probably spend it learning lines and packing my things. I move into my new dorm on Sunday. SO EXCITED to get out of Chinatown.


No comments:

Post a Comment