Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why Art

Momentary musing of the day.

What is it that draws people to theatre? What is it about live performance, or mimicry, or images of life, or that ineffable aspect of the stage that makes people sit and watch other humans enact representations of something for 2 hours?

This is probably the same kind of question as "What is art?" or "Why?" but it stopped me today and made me wonder.

My dearest friend just bought us tickets to see Next to Normal on tour, and this will be my third time seeing the show. I never thought I'd be one of those people to see a show more than once, or twice at most, but there is something that draws me to this one that I cannot get enough of. Particularly Alice Ripley, and then I ask "what does she have that is so compelling onstage? Why would I pay exorbitant amounts of money to have her bring me to tears again and again?"

The very nature of what I do eludes me. The "why" behind it all. I know there is no solid answer - but it certainly is moving to reach inward and find out what about this art form is so inescapable and alluring.

What makes non-actors return again and again? What catharsis do they get, what does it give?

I come back because part of me feels I literally have no choice.
_____

In other news, classes begin tomorrow and I'm so frustrated that I'm still at home. But that was what my last post was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment