Thursday, April 21, 2011

ART HARD

With great love to Alpha Tiger, aka Jesse, my fellow artist.

We have a habit of finding the most mind-bending or blatantly artsy art and sending it to each other while textually shouting "ART" at one another across the internet. One-upping him on the artfulness of something is quite a feat. These are the videos from our latest exchange; first my contributions, then his.

A trilogy of performances by Teatro da Vertagem (Vertigo Theatre) of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Paraiso Perdido (Paradise Lost), Livro de Jo (the Book of Job), and Apocalipse 1,11 (Revelations 1,11). Extremely graphic in nature. Also in Spanish, so I can't tell you what they're saying. It's truly amazing, however.








And Jesse's rebuttal, No Reward for Good Behavior.
The artist's blurb is what truly makes this art:
"One of the things that impresses me most in other people is seeing someone passionately engaged in a fruitless activity. When someone is obsessed with something even though there is no benefit, whether selfish or altrusitic, other than the simple feeling of participating in the action, I feel a kindred spirit. In many ways, my art-making is an absurd obsession; the resultant object aside, the process is the most important, yet irrational, activity in my life. And so, many of the sculptures I make are not only products of that paradox, but expressions of it. No Reward for Good Behavior, an overly-complex machine containing weeks-worth of fabricating and finishing, accomlishes a tiny, ridiculous task: walking these small figures around in a circle. And yet I am proud to have made something so nonsensical: there is so much forced meaningfulness out there. Sometimes one needs a break."

No Reward for Good Behavior from Ben Cowden on Vimeo.


I gotta start creating more or I'll go crazy. No more of this sitting around. I'm getting the message loud and clear, universe. Just give me the chance.


Also, on a separate note, I have an interview for an internship position with Barbara McNamara Casting on Monday at noon. Here's to hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment