Sunday, April 17, 2011

You Can Do Anything

I think I just need to put up a permanent link to Jason's blog - the things he finds and says are just so inspiring. CLICK. (EDIT: Permanent link to Jason's blog filed under Starry Eyed Idiot) This little girl just truly melted my heart, and made me want to be less of a sharp edged person. She motivated me on a Sunday morning, and maybe, after I do some homework and practice, I'll go have another lovely afternoon to myself and appreciate the me and us and that essential self I neglect. I want to go find her and hug her and say thank you, that I draw pictures too, and I sing. I'm good at singing.

Last night Raji and I went to see JERUSALEM on Broadway last night, with Mark Rylance, Mackenzie Crook and John Gallagher Jr., to name a few of the actors. An exceptional play, decidedly English, to be sure, but brilliant and totally moving, even to a little New Yorker like me. I am honored to have witnessed Mark Rylance perform. He has a command of the stage like I have never seen in another human. Like I always write, if you get the chance, please see it. It hits you something fierce and you're never quite sure what it was, but it was powerful beyond words.

Post show, Raji and I embraced our theatre student nerdiness and braved the torrential downpour to stand by the backstage door, while most all of the other patrons hopped into cabs or scurried down the sidewalk. I always want to meet the performers, though I never know what to say to them. Raji, however, has it down to a science, and I will be taking a leaf out of his book from now on. Part of the cast was chatting on the sidewalk under the overhang, so we joined them for a bit. Raji has a staple question he asks all working actors he meets, and tonight was no different; "What advice do you have for young actors just starting out?"

Charlotte Mills told us we should just see as much brilliant theatre as we can ("Which you're apparently already doing, so you're doing it right so far."), so we can just immerse ourselves in the world of what we want to do. Molly Ranson told us we shouldn't worry about what anybody else would do, and just really stay true to the choices and things that feel right to us.

We stood in the rain for quite a long time, not even sure if everyone would come out due to the weather, but John Gallagher Jr. did finally come out, without an umbrella, and before he could dash away down the sidewalk Raji had called him over so we could congratulate him and talk to him. He was surprisingly chatty and genuinely sincere, which was so wonderful. He told us to stay true in ourselves, and not let everything get to our heads ("because, you know, we all have those days, like, even I have them sometimes, like every other week, or sometimes, when you just ask yourself 'should I just quit?' But don't let it get to your head, just do it."). And he was saying how he truly believes there is a place for everyone who wants to do this, and works hard enough at it, no matter how long it takes ("People say 'oh, you're doing so well so young, four Broadway shows in a row, and I'm 26, but people don't realize I started auditioning when I was 13. Sometimes it takes a really long time to find out where you really fit into with this stuff, but I really believe there's a place for everyone who does it and really does it, you know?") It was a wonderful conversation, and he was so sweet.

It makes my heart swell and ache when I talk to working actors. I just want it so badly. Not fame, not oodles of money, but just to live that art and to love. To be DOING it. I say that like, every blog post. But it's true. It just helps me understand this is exactly where I belong, and these are the people I want to be with and work with. Because we're all exactly the same. We're connected, as the little girl in that video up top said.


So. With that, I'm off to do some homework, shower, then get some artsy fartsy crap and high tail it to a park. It's beautiful today. I want to see the flowers and the sun. Carpe Diem, motherfuckers. Love to each and every one of you. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment