Saturday, April 30, 2011

Freddie

Never did finish my update the other day. Whoops.

Yesterday was exhausting, but ultimately not a bad day whatsoever. I moaned and groaned about spending a six hour workshop listening to our studio classmates sing; those six hours could be used for finals work and essay writing, et cetera.

So at 3:30 we all marched in to the theatre and sat in the rows of chairs, tired and grumbling about the next six hours sitting in chairs with no food and no break from studio, but with absolutely no idea of the ridiculously fabulous woman who was about to walk in and rock our socks. Her name is Liz Caplan. I highly recommend checking out the website, or just freaking googling her. She's been called "the musical theatre ghost whisperer," and when I pick my jaw up off the floor I can say I'd have to agree. And each of us only got 5 minutes with her.

I can't say the hours flew by (we were actually there for 7 to make sure everyone could go), and by the end I was shaky and starving, but SHE'S GOING TO BE OUR TEACHER NEXT YEAR.

Let me share with you what she said when I sang. I sang "No One But You" by Queen (click to see Kerry Ellis' rendition), my staple power ballad that has an MT flair. Second verse. I finished and everybody clapped (most people within the studio have never heard each other sing before - we're in different classes so we don't get to see each other perform), and Liz Caplan smiled and said "That song is beautiful in your voice, really good choice. Freddie would be proud."

What.

I almost died on the spot. This woman, who has trained a zillion of the most amazing performers of our time, telling me that I would have made Freddie proud. WHAT.

But she worked with me on loosening my body because I was freezing cold (the AC was on and it was probably 50 degrees in that room), and even with a quick warm up session my second rendition was deeper and more resonant. The stuff she managed to do in 5 or 7 minutes was literally mind-bending. The simplest things changed sounds so much. And we're all so absurdly talented, I can't even IMAGINE what we'll be like after next year, with her as a regular teacher.

So it wasn't so bad. :)



Oh, and I got the interning position with Barbara McNamara Casting. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment