Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Few Things

Josette Bushell-Mingo's parting words to me: "Give 'em hell." I don't think she could have said anything more perfect.

I love heightened language texts. They are just pure poetry. I did (what some called "excessive," but that's another discussion to be had) text work for the brief Clytemnestra scene I did, but I did it for fun and because that's what one does when given a text to look over. Finding the beauty in the vowel sounds that connect and the imagery and how to articulate that through your voice and the many ways you can use your voice - It's been a while since someone reminded me of how heightened language is truly beautiful. So thank you for that, Josette.
____

As a friend of mine said so aptly last night, "the honeymoon phase is over." I love my classmates, I really do, in spite of some quirks and and idiosyncrasies that make me want to rip out my hair. But the glow of being new students in NYC at NYU has begun to fade and the reality of humanity is settling in, so cliques are forming, patiences are much thinner than they were before, and true colors are peeking through carefully crafted personalities.

As I mentioned, I did a lot of text work for the one scene I did yesterday, a quick little foray into Greek text that most people actually left on the floor of the theatre (another point I was appalled at, but that's another thing), and at one point during the day while I was going over it, a fellow classmate, who had already returned from his workshop, gave it a condescending glance and said "That's like, you did way more work than you had to. We just read it."

Just read it? Well, I beg your pardon, sir, but there is no such thing as "just" or "only" or "in general" in what I do, and there certainly isn't time to be half-assing and skating through opportunities like this. It really bothered me, because part of me felt like an overachiever and awkward for doing it, because I was the only one who did that much work. But when Josette came over to give us a brief set of directions to set our scene, she sounded delighted that I had text work done. "Oh, all written out, look at that!" Because that's what I love doing and it needs to get done.

I've been encountering more of this attitude lately, and it reminds me of struggles at my other school and really hits me where it hurts, because I thought I came here to be surrounded by those who embrace the art as much as I do. The craft.
____

Off to lunch and Brooklyn's Irondale Theatre for some Treasure Island and the ineffable Ken Schatz! (No clicks, this time, just google, hahah) Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment